Taking My Wand for a Nametag

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Preface: Why Serve A Mission

A mission hadn’t been on my mind at first. At the time, sister missionaries couldn’t serve until age 21. However, when I was around 12 years old, I realized that Heavenly Father had a different plan in mind for me. I remember sitting in church, and class was about over. Suddenly, I felt the Holy Ghost say in my mind, “You’re going to serve a mission”. It was so distinct and felt so right, that I mentally responded “uh, ok sure!”. It was such a powerful prompting, and it totally guided my life!
 

Having the goal of serving a mission helped direct my actions and choices all through life. I felt myself more earnestly studying the scriptures, looking for real-life application. I started paying extra attention during church and seminary to see what things Heavenly Father needed me to learn! This choice gave me strength when faced with temptations and challenges. 
 

On Sunday, November 1st, I opened my mission call! I felt like I’d been waiting for forever!! It had been around 7 years since I’d first made the decision, and it had been 2-3 months since I had started my papers! I promised not to read ahead, but as soon as that paper was in my hands, my eyes immediately jumped to “Italy Milan Mission”. I immediately felt immersed in the spirit, and felt God’s love for the people there. I instantly knew it was the place for me to be!
 

Now here I am, about 4 months later, a couple days away from finally serving! The time in-between that day and now has presented it’s own challenges, but through Christ, all things are possible! I’m can’t wait to be set apart this Tuesday as an official missionary! I’m beyond excited to serve the people of Italy as a representative of Christ!

XOXO
Kaylee (for the last time!) Smedley





No comments:

Post a Comment