Taking My Wand for a Nametag

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Chapter 28: Never Go In Against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the Line!

If you didn't mentally read this title in his (Vizzini from Princess Bride) voice, we can't be friends.

Also there are legitimate R.O.U.S.s (Rodents of unusual size) here.

Also, I've been waiting the whole transfer to use this title, since my comp is from Sicily.

Also, turns out the crickets in Italy are the size of small birds... (C.O.U.S.s?)

Also, I discovered rather tragically that my comp has never seen The Princess Bride (along with a whole slew of other favorites) which is quite a shame.

But that is ok. The church is still true.

Alright, wanna hear about the crazy stuff that happened this week? Cool.

Thursday, we tried to pass by a couple of less actives. Literally no one was there. So I insisted we go get kebab for lunch. Nothin like drowning your sorrows into a bit of mystery meat πŸ–πŸŒ― {Side note: we found a kebab place that is my new favorite. Although, the fact that it's called "Donner Kebab" seems a bit morbid to me...?}. That afternoon, we had an appointment with the Gonzalez fam. We were planning on teaching Juliannie the Plan of Salvation. However, when her mom picked us up, she pulled me aside and said that today, she just wanted us to talk with her daughter. I guess she has been getting bullied and whatnot, and Sister Gonzalez had wanted her to see a counselor. Buuut Julie refused, so Sister Gonzalez was like "But she really likes you and trusts you, so maybe you can help her!" And I was pretty much like "ok! πŸ™‚" on the outside but like πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜…πŸ˜¬πŸ˜·πŸ˜΅ on the inside. Because how was I supposed to do that? Lol, I literally remember last week, Sorella Arndt and I were talking and we were like "Gosh, I can't help everyone with their issues! I can't even deal with my own issues"πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ But like really though. That's one of the hard things I realized during the mission- like these people have legitimate trials and problems, and somehow a 19 year-old awkward human is supposed to help fix said problems? Hmm. But luckily it's God who fixes the problems- He just does so through us. Thank goodness because He's a million times more qualified than I am! So back to Juliannie. We go in and I'm just praying the whole time for help lol. And then we started talking with her. And I remember nothing of what was said. Nothing. Because it wasn't me talking with her. Yeah. It was a pretty crazy day, to say the least.

Friday, we had weekly planning, followed by correlation with the ward mission leader for the Italian ward. And theeeeen our appt cancelled on us, so we did some finding followed by gelato, come sempre🍦 

Saturday, the Gonzalez family invited us to Juliannie's swim meet!🏊‍♀️πŸ…It was cool, because other families in the ward participated in the swim meet as well, so it was nice to be there to support them all! It lasted most of the day, but it was so worth it because Julie felt so special! She kept hugging us and introducing us to all her teammatesπŸ˜‚❤️

Sunday was great as usual! Kind of hectic at times going back and forth between two wards, but I literally love it so much! The Gonzalez family came to church this week, along with some of the less actives we've been meeting with! We got to participate in the fast for the Rome temple, so it was seriously just awesome!

Monday, we visited a less active named Enjoy! We weren't able to meet with her for super long since she had work, but she told us her teenage daughter isn't a member and is interested in having us teach her!!πŸ‘πŸΌ

Tuesday morning, we had district meeting and transfer predictions! Afterwards, we tried to pass by a less active who'd been dodging our calls lol. Idk, my new thing lately is I love to bother the less activesπŸ˜‚ like cool, if you're not gonna answer my calls, imma come to your house at least once a week,  claiming I was "just in the area"πŸ˜‚πŸ’πŸΌ idk why, but it amuses me a lot. So we did so. And this lady finally answered {possibly because I ducked down so she couldn't see it was us} and this is how the convo went down, only it was in Italian:
Lady: who is it?
Me: We're the sister missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! We were "in the area" and wondered if we could visit with you for a minute, and share a quick message.
Lady: ...
Zombra: So... can we?
Lady: ...
Us: ...
Lady: I'm not Mormon!
Us: ...
Me: Yes we know you're not Mormon... He died a long time ago... maybe we can talk with you about that...
*cue two sorelle trying not to laugh outside an apartment complex*
Lady: Ok... well I'm very busy. Try calling me next time.
Me internally: Funny story... WE HAVE! Like, 30 times!!
Me externally: Ok πŸ™‚
Zombra: Have a nice evening.

Lol, the life we lead.

Today for P day, we spent the afternoon in centro. Did some shopping, ate some kebab. AND THEN we went to the bunny park. Beautiful, large Italian park with rivers and statues. And huge fish. And swans. And chickens. And bunnies. And by bunnies, I mean there are literally hundreds. I almost died they were too cute! And I'm very excited because tonight we're going to "just be in the area" of one of my fav less actives lol. Ha I love pestering people about Jesus, it's literally the bestπŸ˜‚πŸŽ‰

As to my email title, I've realized I haven't shared much of what it's like being comps with an Italian... so in honor of the potentially ominous transfer calls headed our way this weekend, here are few things you can expect when being comps with an Italian:
  • Thinking I'm mildly decent at both English and Italian. When in reality, both kind of suck right now?
  • *Weather drops to 70 degrees* *comp puts on a sweater*
  • Her: "hey why does this word do _____ in English?" Me: "Oh, because... hmmm... now that you mention it... idk man english is weird..."
  • Me making a million and one movie/book references... and then my comp staring at me like a crazy person cuz she's not obsessed with media like I am...
  • Awkward phrases that are a horrendous blend of Italian and English words...
  • Her: "Want to order pizza?" Me: "Dude it's like 9pm. We really don't need it. We should just go to bed................ ugh ok fine, #3 on speed dial... thanks Satan..."
  • *Comp starts singing a super popular American song without realizing it swears or talks about rather non-missionary appropriate things* πŸ˜³πŸ˜³ do I tell her?
  • Us speaking Italian together, and then she switches to Sicilian just to screw with my headπŸ˜‚

Alrighty let's move from the telestial to the celestial because........ ITS GENERAL CONFERENCE THIS WEEKEND AND I COULDNT BE MORE EXCITED! Like we're lucky enough to get to read the words of God in the scriptures, but like Conference is an opportunity to hear from a living prophet and gain inspiration from God! And that's fantastic! President Uchtdorf said, "As you prepare for general conference, I invite you to ponder questions you need to have answered. … There are messages in each general conference given as a gift and a blessing from heaven specifically for our personal life situations." So let's do this. Let's watch General Conference, but more than that, let's prepare to receive direct, personal revelation from God through those He has calledπŸ€—❤️

XOxo
Sorella Smedley 

1- Kebap  2- puppies, puppies, puppies! 3- sign for our church!
4&5- Swim meet for Juliannie  6-Centro
7-10 Bunny Park!

  

  

  






















No comments:

Post a Comment